Are you suffering from acne?
You must have tried multiple medicated products and homemade remedies.
But all goes in vain.
Some of them work for some time but as soon as you stop using the product, acne comes back.
Acne can be caused by various reasons so let’s not go into the details.
Let’s focus on the solution and how you can treat acne by bringing just one product in your life.
And that is Sulphur, i.e. Sulphur Soap.
In this article, I will tell you how magical the Sulphur soap is and how to use it.
So, let’s begin.
What is Sulphur?
Sulfur, also called Sulphur or brimstone, is a chemical element and natural mineral. It is mostly found in hot springs and volcanic areas. It is known for its yellow color and its strong smell. It smells like rotten eggs therefore, people avoid using it. Sulphur has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties hence, it is used in soaps that will dry up skin and prevents acne. It dries up skin by absorbing excess oil (sebum) that causes acne breakouts. It helps in shedding the dead skin cells which clogs the pores.
Benefits of Sulphur
- Dries out blemishes: Sulphur dries the skin and when you apply it on the blemish, it dries out and sheds dead skin.
- Promotes exfoliation: Sulphur is great for exfoliation. It exfoliates dead skin, prevents clogged pores and removes impurities. It is keratolytic, which means it causes mild shedding of the top layers of the skin.
- Fights bacteria: Sulfur has antibacterial properties which kill bacteria, fungi and various other parasites.
- Treats sensitive skin conditions: Sulfur softens the skin and exfoliates thick dead skin. It is used to treat acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis or dandruff.
Who Should Use It?
Anyone suffering from mild-to-moderate acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis or dandruff can use Sulphur soap.
How to Use it?
Sulfur should be used as short-contact cleanser therefore, to be used once a day. It is better to use it at bedtime because of its strong bad smell (rotten eggs).
It is also advised not to use Sulfur with other acne tropical i.e. retinoid, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid as it will cause skin to dry out more.
How Caribbean Soaps Makes Sulphur Soap
If you want to buy Sulphur soap for yourself, you can get it from Caribbean Soaps. It is a small family run business in Puerto Rico. They sell handmade bath products. Their Sulphur soaps are handmade. Below is the process of making Sulphur soap.
- First they weigh ingredients in separate containers. The ingredients are all-vegetable blend of oils and the lye solution.
- Then they mix both the ingredients using a stick blender. And the soap solution gets thicker. This process is called saponification.
- In that soap solution, 99.9% pure sulfur powder and salicylic acid is added.
- As it thickens, it is poured into the mold to give it a shape.
- After 24 hours, the soap is cut into individual pieces.
- Before selling it out, it is left to cure for 3-4 weeks.
So, now you know how Sulphur soaps are made and how many benefits it has. Do give it a try and mention in the comment box about your experience.